Getting old is hard!

I cannot believe it’s been almost a year and a half since I have posted to my blog! A lot has happened in that 16 months for sure so here comes the update!

January 2010 – differences between my boss and me force me to start looking for another job. I’ve been at this job for almost 10 years and am sad to leave.

July 12th 2010 – I leave Assessment Plus and start work at Emory University’s Woodruff Library…I am SO excited!!!!

August 2010 – Due to a severe adverse reaction to a migraine medication, I go into stage 5 kidney failure. Fortunately I recover but it was a scary time.

October 2010 – I walk the Susan G. Komen for the Cure 3-Day for the second year in a row! Unfortunately, I probably damaged my feet vascularly and in 2011 will be crewing instead of walking. After the 3-Day my feet swelled horribly and I had to go to the doctor for a diagnosis. She put me on an extra water pill every day and after three days they were pretty much back to normal…whew!

February 2011 – Joined vanpool for work, including driving it. All went well until…

April 11, 2011 – After having a routine mammogram and getting back normal results, something “not right” starts happening with my right breast. My gyn says, “let’s watch it for a month. I think you may have been bruised during the mammogram.” While I’m not sure this is true, I go along with it but after a month the something strange is still happening. On May 6th I am in a breast specialist’s office having more mammograms and ultrasounds. The radiologist has me back in the following Monday after locating a slight thickening in my right breast that wasn’t there the year before. They performed a ductogram to pinpoint a 5 mm polyp in one of my milk ducts. All I’ll say is that you don’t want to have a ductogram unless you have to. No pain meds and tiny needles going places you never imagined WHILE they are doing a mammogram. Not nice. The only way to diagnose if this is maglignant or benign is a excisional breast biopsy which is done under general anesthesia. They take out the polyp, the milk duct and the surrounding tissue to biopsy. 98% of these cases are benign. I’m scheduled for this on May 24th.

April 28, 2011 – In the midst of all the scariness surrounding my mammogram and biopsy, I have a really freak accident on the vanpool which leaves a huge hematoma on the top of my right foot, and I find it hard to walk. After a visit to the clinic on campus confirming that nothing was broken, a visit to the podiatrist’s office gave me the bad news that I have to have it removed surgically! It is sitting on a nerve and a blood vessel, thus causing much discomfort and extra swelling. This surgery is scheduled for June 8th, two weeks after the biopsy.

Needless to say that during this whole time many prayers were being said by my family and friends. At some points I just simply reached out for God’s hand; that was all I could do other than get through the day-to-day of getting up, going to work and coming home. My poor Scott was suffering too with his h-pylori virus and its treatment with antibiotics so again, needless to say, we weren’t the best company for awhile.

My biopsy was benign (thank you Jesus!) and the foot surgery was easy. Recovery from the foot surgery was very aggrevating since I couldn’t get said foot wet for two weeks…are you kidding me????

I am finally back in the pink as far as the foot and breast go, but now it seems my knees are giving out on me. Arthritis is my guess. Trip to the ortho in a couple of weeks. I’m hoping cortisone shots will do the trick. Get old is no fun, that’s for sure!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s